Are you looking for ways to teach your students more effectively? StudyUp.com can help you teach more effectively. We organize all of your lecture plans and activities into a cool, Wikipedia style website, featuring a system that creates relevant links within your lesson plans, and shows filtered lists of all related lesson plans - all for FREE!
It's always free and anyone can join!Watch StudyUp Demo Video Now
Most Popular Articles
Tip of the Day
Gain credit for working
If you have been thinking for returning to school to either advance your degree or finish the one that you had already started, looking to work experience credit could prove...
Teaching Mathematics Articles
Need Teaching Mathematics Articles Teaching Help?
StudyUp can help you get better results from your students by allowing you to store and organize all of your lesson plans online for FREE. StudyUp will also allow you to network with other teachers and share ideas.
Mathematics is considered as that one subject which had a negative feedback as people portray it as hard and difficult to learn. Teaching mathematics is challenging for a teacher but at the same time very rewarding especially when you observe that students are enjoying math as well as working on math projects quite easily.
While teaching mathematics you should be innovative & ready to accept new techniques so that your students can appreciate math. Mentioned are few tips for teaching mathematics with ease:
1. Fun: As a teacher you need to invent and create math games that will get the interest of the students and also they would enjoy playing such games. Games can be created using items commonly found in the classroom like chairs, crayons, pencils, toys and books.
2. Counting: One of the basic concepts of math is to learn counting. Teach the kids to count and enhance their talent to identify symbols and numbers. Without knowing this basic concept it might be very difficult for the kids to understand mathematics. Educating the kids with the ability for counting will get them prepared for the basic mathematics operations. The basics include addition, subtraction, division and multiplication.
3. Addition: One of the four important concepts of mathematics is addition which the children need to learn. If the children are educated appropriately about this concept it gives them the encouragement as well as the skill for moving forward and at the same time math will be a very easy subject for them to learn.
4. Subtraction: Make sure that the children have mastered in the addition concept before teaching then subtraction. Subtraction can be taught easily by teaching it with addition. This way the students could discover the idea for problem solving.
5. Multiplication: Firstly you need to teach addition to make them understand the concept of multiplication. You need to show it them how a particular product is derived. For example product of 3 * 2 = 3 + 3 = 6. Once this idea of adding the similar numbers to derive a product is well understood by the kids they can easily move on towards larger numbers.
6. Division: When the kids were taught subtraction we used the concept of addition to emphasize on the missing numbers. Similarly to teach division we need to use the concept of multiplication. While teaching division you can illustrate by showing them a bag full of cookies. You can then ask them to just divide those cookies among the students in the class. Here not only are they learning division but also learning the worth of sharing.